Friday 4 September 2015

7) Discover (another) five new musicians

***This is a scheduled post***
Bear's Den
I discovered this band in February, the night before I went to Gambia. It was what I listened to as I was packing (very hurriedly, very last minute), and, before I left, their first album (Islands), had found it's way onto my phone. It became the soundtrack to Gambia- and I kept up my love when I returned. Now, I'd definitely describe them as one of my favourite bands, and I'm super super excited that I'm going to see them in October. A really amazing folk-y band, with some incredible and hugely meaningful lyrics! I kind of wish I could mix and match to choose a song to link here, with my absolute favourite parts of each of their songs- but, I think, this is the one that really made them catch my attention. It's about Magdalene laundries but, to me at least, could have strong Biblical connotations as well (aside from the obvious, I mean).

Vance Joy
I found Vance Joy through Spotify. I was familiar with Riptide (which was super popular for a bit sometime), so I thought I'd listen to more of his stuff. As the case so often is, I love the rest of his music a lot more than I like Riptide! I really like the song Georgia, but I think Red Eye- featured below- is probably my absolute favourite.


James Bay
A more recent addition to my life! A friend played me Hold Back the River a while back, and I thought it was quite nice. Then James Bay himself was reccommended on my Spotify- so I thought why not! Hard to pick a favourite, again- I really really like Scars, and the lyrics are beautiful; but Best Fake Smile (linked below) never fails to get caught in my head, so it seems like the best one to share!

Tom Odell
I've known of Tom Odell since last year, mostly due to Another Love and Long Way Down (featured in The Fault in our Stars movie). However, it's only recently that I've started listening to his music in it's entirety. There's something about his voice that I absolutely adore! And his lyrics come across as very heartfelt too, particularly in Supposed to Be (below).


Hozier
Feeling weirdly mainstream with this one, and this is probably the musician that I've listened to least, out of my chosen five. However, still very good, and I'm definitely going to listen to more. Take Me to Church is rather down, but the lyrics are incredibly well-crafted and the message is a strong one (about religion and sexuality). Someone New, the one I've chosen to link, is a lot more upbeat- it just seems to fit my life, and it's a great song for singing along to!