Tuesday 23 December 2014

35) Listen to (and like?!) 5 new musicians

Yes! I have accomplished this one! In fact, it has been a pretty good year in terms of listening to new things, and I've done more than this, I think. However, to 'complete' this in terms of the blog, I thought I'd share 5 songs by musicians I've gotten into this year, to try and spread their awesomeness a little further :)
Track number one is 'Sun' by 'Sleeping at Last'. Sleeping at Last is famous for his covers (check out '500 Miles'!), but also has an extensive collection of originals, all of which are captivatingly beautiful. Moving on, 'Angels on the Moon' by 'Thriving Ivory'. This is the band I know least, but one I'm planning on getting a lot more acquainted with- this song is really good, and I love the lyrics. Number three is 'Talk Dirty' by 'Scott Bradlee & Postmodern Jukebox'. This band is my current obsession. If you recognise the title of the song, that's because it's a cover; however, it's not any old cover. SB&PJ take popular songs and put a historical twist on them. The results are incredible. Up next, a band that's quickly become one of my all-time favourites, 'A Great Big World', with 'Everyone is Gay'. The song makes me laugh, and the band are wonderfully quirky. They became famous for 'Say Something', but if that's all you know them for then you're missing out- they've got a great mix of upbeat happy songs, and some more reflective ones as well. They're just fabby to be honest. Last but certainly not least, 'The Piano Guys' with their cover of 'Can't Help Falling in Love'. As with number three (SB&PJ), The Piano Guys do covers with their own spin; in this case, they're largely instrumental, using classical instruments (eg, piano, cello etc.), and often mixing popular songs with classical etc. pieces- for example, they mixed 'Let it Go' with Vivaldi's 'Winter'. Fabulous.
So. There ya go! Five new musicians I've discovered this year :) Go listen!!