Sunday 28 December 2014

30) Compliment 10 random strangers

***This is a scheduled post***

This year, I found this on Twitter. I did not make it, and unfortunately I'm not sure who did. All I did was find it- and let it change my life.
When I say 'change my life', I don't mean that I thought about it for two seconds, agreed with it, decided to follow it and never thought about it again. I mean that this piece of writing, and the sentiments behind it, are in my thoughts a lot of the time. I mean that I genuinely do strive to follow it's advice. From the moment I found this, I realised the truth- that one day, I might well get hit by a bus. Obviously, I hope that doesn't happen; it would be a tragedy, and there are no ways of lessening that. But, for me, it would be a far bigger tragedy if that was to happen and I had left things unsaid. It would then be too late. I am someone who likes to be in control. Getting hit by a bus is not something that one can control- but how much you leave behind can be. After reading this for the first time, I resolved to let people know how much they mean to me. I believe- and hope- that the people I love are in no doubt that I love them, because I make sure I tell them. I will write potentially risky texts- texts that, last year, I would never have sent- then hover my finger over the send button, still unsure. Then, ultimately, I will send them, because, as I see it, I might as well. People deserve to know how I feel about them, and how much they mean to me. If I can give them nothing else, I can give them that. This extends to people I don't know as well, too. For example, this year I gave a Christmas card to the whole Humanities faculty at school. As my tutor is a Humanities teacher, she shares an office with the other teachers, and there have been some times during this year when I have gone up there in a bit of a state, or feeling shaky- or the time I burst in because I had super good news, and I completely disrupted their working environment. Every time, however, each and every person in there is fabulous. If my tutor's there but doesn't notice me, someone will get her attention; if she's not there, they'll advise me on where to find her. They are, as I put in the card, always 'smiley and welcoming', to the point where they'll smile at me if they just see me around school. When things are difficult, these 'small' things are beyond helpful and reassuring. Hence, I felt the need to thank them, and though they may be puzzled by the card, I feel reassured knowing that I did so.
How does this all connect to Number 30, my goal of complimenting random strangers? Well, I have complimented far more than ten strangers this year. I have remembered this piece of writing; I have also remembered the effect that people being 'smiley and welcoming' (I feel I should add, though I mentioned the Humanities faculty in particular, many many people have been 'smiley and welcoming' this year). If I see someone with nice hair, or a nice jumper, I tell them. Why not? For all I know, that could make their day. What's more, it's not just about the compliment. It's about telling them that you've noticed them. That, in spite of the crowds of people we encounter every day, you've picked out them. That could be the exchange they need, for whatever reason. We are not solitary units, and we cannot live like that, even if we try to. We might as well embrace it, this strange and beautiful concept of humanity, and do what we can to help others, no matter how small our attempts are. You never know, you could end up in an interesting conversation (done that!) or make a new friend (sort of done that!). All by telling the truth, and letting someone know that you admire them, for whatever reason.
So, this post is partly me letting you know that I've completed this 'challenge'. It's partly me declaring that this isn't just limited to 2014- this is how I want to live my life, ensuring that the bus never takes me with words left in my throat. But, more than anything, this is me asking you to join me. Tell people you love them. Thank people who would never expect you to thank them. And tell each and every stranger with beautiful hair, an interesting jacket, a kind smile- tell them you've noticed.