Monday 23 December 2013

19) Become exposed to a wider range of music

When I started this one off, I did it using the tag Number19, and looking at different genres of music that way. That was quite fun, and I did listen to more music because of that. However, that eventually trailed off as I realised that everyone is being exposed to all sorts of music, at any one given time. All you have to do is open your ears, and open your mind. So for a round up of this item, I want to share some pieces that I've come across this year, and wouldn't normally listen to, along with the story they have.

Amazing Grace- cover by Chris Tomlin
 This is one of the songs we sang during the Bosnian barbeque.Though I liked it before that, I probably wouldn't have voluntarily listened to it- whereas now I do, quite regularly! It's definitely earned a special place in my heart :)

Get Lucky- Daft Punk
I found this song earlier this year, and I love it. I'm still trying to work out why- it's not what I'd normally listen to at all!

Bike- Pink Floyd
Welcome to psychedelic pop! This is one of the songs we listened to in Music- and I think it's great. Nonsensical and weird and psychedelic, but also very fabulous. Just listen to the lyrics.

Blight & Blossom
Unfortunately, Grooveshark doesn't have a recording for this :( It's the song that AS Music did for the Winter Concert, and not something I'd have found otherwise. Nevertheless, I really like it now, and enjoyed performing it! My only regret is that we didn't have access to a cello...

 Like A Prayer- Madonna
 The school Gospel Choir that I joined this term did this song as a concert piece- it's a really lovely song- can't believe I hadn't heard it before!

Wanting Memories- originally from Crossroads
Another brilliant Gospel Choir piece! This sounds so lovely sung in harmony! I really enjoyed being part of the choir, it's definitely something I want to continue with next term :)

She- Laura Mvula
This definitely needs to be on this list! At the end of 2012, I hadn't heard of Laura Mvula at all- now, at the end of 2013, I have seen her live, and loved every minute of it. This song is truly, absolutely beautiful.

Wrecking Ball- Miley Cyrus
I am possibly opening myself up to wide ridicule here. I possibly deserve it. But, whilst I have a number of views on the video, I actually quite like this song. And it's pretty different to the stuff I normally like. So yeah.

My Love Is Like A Red, Red Rose- Traditional
This list wouldn't be complete without a gem from folk! I was quite tempted to post Staten Island (my all-time favourite folk group post), until I realised I knew that one before 2013. Therefore, I went for this one, which is sweet and nice to play :)

If She's The One
Going to finish on this one, which is currently one of my absolute favourite songs- and another that I wouldn't normally have found, so a big thank you to BB, who made me listen to it!!

That's really just a small sample of the new music I have found this year; there are far, far more, from a variety of genres! I hope next year I can explore even more music :)